Midnight Descends Upon the City: Web Warriors Fall Short of Victory


Dear Readers, 

Today we will be talking about the first Battle of the Bayou tournament in Houston, Texas. 


So, to start, I wanted to place my list front and center so that you don’t have to search too far for it in case you are in a hurry.


The List:

 
[Characters]

- Black Cat: 3

- Corvus Glaive: 4

-- Infinity Gem: Reality: 1

- Ghost-Spider: 3

- Moon Knight: 3

- Proxima Midnight: 3

- Spider-Man (Miles Morales): 3

- Ronan the Accuser

- Magneto

- Toad: 2

- Venom: 4


[Team Tactics]

- Advanced R&D

- All Webbed Up

- Bitter Rivals

- Climbing Gear

- Execute

- Lethal Protector

- Marked For Death

- Medpack

- Mission Objective

- Web Barrier


[Extract Crises]

- Fear Grips World as "Worthy" Terrorize Cities [D]: 18

- Spider-Infected Invade Manhattan [F]: 17

- Struggle for the Cube Continues [F]: 17


[Secure Crises]

- Cosmic Invasion! Black Order Descends on Earth [D]: 16

- Infinity Formula Goes Missing [B]: 17

- Riots Spark Over Extremis 3.0 [D]: 17


So, I won second place with the above list at the first qualifying round of Battle for the Bayou. I am still getting used to writing articles about my experiences and I completely forgot to take notes regarding my battles in order to better reflect on what has happened and to create totally awesome battle reports for you all. So, instead, this article will be about what I learned during my time in the Battle for the Bayou qualifier at Asgard Games and the possible future of the list.


1) Corvus and Proxima are still quite good: No surprise here, but the husband and wife are still top tier Web Warriors under Miles’ leadership. Defensive Rerolls in addition to an innate -1 damage generally means your opponent is ever doing 1 damage at a time to the power couple, thus extending their usability against your enemies and giving you the punch that the spiders sorely lack on their own. My first game was against a beam spam Cabal list that took me totally by surprise and being able to re-roll defense dice and have -1 damage gave me just enough edge to survive the day against the devastating laser rave party that Red Skull, Loki, Enchantress, and Mr. Sinister brought to the table. In addition, the number of roots and Loki’s passive didn’t hamper the two from doing key abilities when needed due to the trickle of damage in addition to their own power gains from damaging their enemies.



2) Magneto is a beast in Web Warriors: I truly believe that the reason I lost round three (other than my opponent being a skilled tactician and all around great guy) was because I did not bring Magneto to the field. I brought the Master of Magnetism to the list for 2 reasons: 1) I had literally written about how good he is in the affiliation last week and 2) I hate Midnight Sons with what many would call passion. And boy, did he deliver. Turn 2 generally saw me rocking a good chunk of power that would then allow me to start hurling things and destroying my opponents. Aggressively playing Magneto onto points and to capture objectives meant that my opponent had to try to take him down, which generally proved a bit difficult for my opponent to muster. Gaining priority by playing a smaller number of units meant that the pulls from Gwen where they were applicable meant I could reliably end a model’s entire career by having them within R2 of a Magneto with full rerolls, including skulls, and enough terrain to flatten a city block. My favorite moment of the tournament was Magneto taking out Carnage and Wong in a single round through the concentrated power of rock throwing. If you haven’t brought Magneto to your list yet, I highly recommend it. He played murder-maker and defensive titan on Herbs by flattening a good chunk of the enemy that approached him.


3) Ronan is good in affiliation:
While the only re-roll he had would be defensive, his ability to chuck people around plays well with Web Warrior strategies. IF you are looking to play a more defensive version of the Web Warriors, I cannot stress how good Ronan is. Shocking your enemies provides a pseudo invulnerability to characters being attacked by the shocked character. Judgment now makes your enemy really wary of who they attack and how they interact with the game. The one downside to Ronan is that his ranged attack doesn’t stack energy at a static 1 like most other ranged attacks of its ilk. But, in a 1 v 1 duel or as a super support unit, Ronan the Accuser gets the stamp of approval from your Friendly Neighborhood Web Warrior.


4) Midnight Sons need to be approached with care: As was stated earlier, I do not like fighting Midnight Sons. Between Ghost Rider’s ability to always have the energy to get where he needs to be/resurrect to Siege of Darkness blasting holes in my defenses, I have had a hard time wrapping my head around Midnight Sons and how I play into them. To be honest, I included Magneto and Ronan as anti-Midnight Sons tech and I legitimately didn’t play them in the final match for some reason. I will blame it on the exhaustion from the day, but a mistake is still a mistake and it cost me big at the end. Blade is a menace for Miles and his consistent bleeds bypass defensive tech while making him much harder to take down. I would recommend to my fellow Spider-folks to have a solid answer to this faction for your future competitive games, because they aren’t going anywhere.




The Future of the List



For the most part I am happy with this list. I do plan on working on some future iterations that take out the Husband and Wife to include the likes of The Amazing Spider-Man (Big Pete) or Juggernaut and Iron Man or Ms. Marvel respectively. Including Big Pete I include another long mover with more defensive tech and another medium base to create truly headache inducing Web Barrier opportunities. Juggernaut allows me to bulldoze enemies effectively while also having a truly potent anti-mystic threat while he is healthy and out of activation attacks with his TTC. Ms. Marvel brings A Better Tomorrow (which I am in love with) and movement shenanigans plus more rerolls than you can shake a stick at. Iron Man brings the flat damage reduction alongside pushes on wild. I do not like Helios Laser though with this list. Web Warriors are notoriously starved for power, and having a weak laser is worse than having no laser at all.


Ronan was very good, but I also want to see how individuals such as Captain Marvel fare in the 4 slot for the list. I am looking at reintroducing Voodoo to the list. He was such a huge help in my last tournament and I sorely missed him this time around. I think that Ronan will do very very well for control style Web Warriors that want to work angles and push people around, but for my more attack oriented style of Web Warrior play, I think that Voodoo is the better option.


Final Thoughts


I love our Web Warriors due to their flexibility and overall utility. I can’t wait to see what else is brought to the table in future releases and see what kind of antics our favorite webbed spandex heroes get into. I look forward to the next Battle for the Bayou qualifier at Atomic Hobby Shop where I will be bringing some pain with my updated list.


Till next time webslingers.

Comments